- 1 onion (medium), finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Olive oil
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- Large handful mushrooms (any sort), chopped
- 400ml passata – or you could use a tin of chopped tomatoes
- A handful of fresh herbs (or 2 tsp dried): parsley, basil, oregano or savory would be great
Sautee onion in oil for 5 minutes at a medium heat. Add the celery and the garlic and fry for another two minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Add passata and some salt and pepper, mix well and bring to a gentle simmer.
Simmer for about 20 minutes (or until the sweet potato is easily pierced with a fork and starting to fall apart). At this stage you could add a large splash of red wine and gently reheat. Add the herbs right at the end and some salt and pepper.
Serve with pasta or rice. You could sprinkle over some cheese or some crushed dry roasted peanuts – give them a couple of whirs in a food processor.
Adapted from kindearth.net