- 2 tablespoons (30g) butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, sliced
- 475ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Around 200g lettuce, core and root ends trimmed, leaves torn if large
- 1 small handful loosely packed parsley leaves (or use some rocket or chives)
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Black pepper and nutmeg (optional)
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until foamy. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring,
until softened, about 3 minutes. Add stock, bring to a simmer, and cook until vegetables are very tender,
about 8 minutes. Add lettuce and parsley and cook until wilted and softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
Blend until very smooth. If soup is too thick, thin as needed with additional stock. Season with salt and
just a touch of lemon juice to brighten flavour. Serve hot or chilled. Add some black pepper and nutmeg
as you fancy. You could also add a whirl of yoghurt, crème fraiche or pesto.