Serves 4 as a starter or snack
- 600g broad beans (weight in their pods), podded
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp Parmesan, grated, and more to serve (optional)
- small bunch mint or basil leaves, finely chopped
- pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- thin slices of sourdough or ciabatta
- 1 garlic clove
Boil the beans in salted water for 3-5 minutes until tender, then mash roughly with a fork. Finely
zest the lemon, then squeeze the juice of one half into the beans. Stir in 4 tablespoons of olive oil,
the lemon zest, Parmesan, herbs and chilli. Season with salt and pepper to taste (you may want a
little more lemon juice too). Toast, grill or griddle the bread, then rub with a cut clove of garlic.
Drizzle with some olive oil, then pile on the broad bean mixture and grate over a little more
cheese to serve.