- 1 kohl rabi (or 300g broccoli stalks) peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- A nugget of butter or splash of olive oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 500ml veg (or chicken)stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A handful of Summer Savory – finely chopped
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- A grating of fresh nutmeg (optional)
- A dollop of crème fraîche or yoghurt (optional)
Gently fry the kohl rabi, onion and garlic in butter or oil over a medium-low heat for a few mins.
Add the spuds and stock and simmer till the veg are soft enough to whizz up. Pop the veg and half the Summer Savory in the blender. Let the veg cool a bit first as the pressure from the steam can make the lid blow off.
Purée till smooth. Transfer it back to the pan to heat up. Taste. Season with salt, pepper and a touch of lemon juice and zest, and perhaps some nutmeg. 4. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche or yoghurt, a bit more Summer Savory and even some crispy pancetta or little bits of bacon, if you fancy that sort of thing. Or some little bits of crispy fried haloumi maybe.