- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small pinch of saffron threads (about 10), crumbled (fun but optional)
- 450g courgette, coarsely chopped
- 700ml/3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bunch watercress, chopped
- 1 tablespoon double cream (optional – you could use single cream or a slug of milk)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make it
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and saffron and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft. Add the courgette and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat for around 10 minutes until the courgette is tender. Add the watercress and cook for 5 minutes longer.
Take off the heat, add the cream and blend with a hand blender. Gently rewarm the soup and ladle into bowls. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter.
Adapted from www.foodandwine.com